Zotonic
Zotonic
zotonic@conference.zotonic.com
Monday, 17 December 2012< ^ >
arjan has set the subject to: Zotonic - the Erlang Content Management Framework
Room Configuration

GMT+1
[00:52:31] Maas leaves the room
[08:17:34] maas.maarten.zeeman joins the room
[08:35:05] maas.maarten.zeeman leaves the room
[08:42:04] maas.maarten.zeeman joins the room
[08:44:28] andreas.stenius joins the room
[08:59:30] Arjan joins the room
[09:27:57] <Arjan> http://blog.pamelafox.org/2012/12/a-tale-of-two-bootstraps-lessons.html
[09:28:27] <Arjan> that's why we're still on 2.0 and not on latest...
[10:04:47] <andreas.stenius> yikes!
[10:07:19] <andreas.stenius> just realizing that I'm committing to a master that is due to be a release... perhaps we should introduce something called feature-freeze, and branch of an upcoming release and only apply bugfixes and other minor corrections on that branch until release day, keeping new features on master... what do you think?
[10:07:40] <Arjan> plus with bootstrap there is no way (that I know of) to look at older documentation versions :p
[10:07:43] <Arjan> andreas.stenius: that is a good idea
[10:07:56] <Arjan> I can actually just make the release branch
[10:08:12] <Arjan> right now
[10:08:22] <Arjan> since today is release day anyway :)
[10:08:26] <andreas.stenius> yeah, we don't need to freeze, ... exactly :)
[10:08:51] <andreas.stenius> but I think my last commit is nice to have in 0.9
[10:08:56] <Arjan> k
[10:09:00] <Arjan> you were just on time then :p
[10:09:07] <andreas.stenius> :p
[10:10:04] <Arjan> here we go: git checkout -b release-0.9.x master
[10:10:12] <andreas.stenius> had a few weaknesses in indenting closing %} that was not on the same line as the opening {%, yet not alone on the last line...
[10:10:20] <Arjan> :)
[10:10:22] <andreas.stenius> yay! :D
[10:11:08] <Arjan> and pushed
[10:11:23] <Arjan> https://github.com/zotonic/zotonic/tree/release-0.9.x
[10:11:32] <andreas.stenius> got it :)
[10:12:00] <Arjan> how do you feel about the NEWS file?
[10:12:12] <Arjan> it kind of overlaps with doc/dev/releasenotes/
[10:12:14] <andreas.stenius> getting my trackz proj up-to-date, using my ny rbac module ;)
[10:12:29] <andreas.stenius> hmm...
[10:12:47] <Arjan> maybe we should only put unreleased features in there
[10:13:00] <Arjan> and have a reference to doc/dev/releasenotes to see older releases
[10:13:15] <Arjan> so that it basically becomes a log of new features
[10:13:33] andreas.stenius is thinking...
[10:13:49] <Arjan> and once we do the release, we move the news file to doc/dev/releasenotes/version.rst, and create a new (empty) one which just says "hey look in doc/..."
[10:14:05] <andreas.stenius> how about keeping the last release note in NEWS... ?
[10:14:28] <andreas.stenius> uh
[10:14:36] <Arjan> yes that is also nice
[10:14:39] <andreas.stenius> and on master, that is, the upcoming one...
[10:14:49] <Arjan> then it just duplicates one set of release notes right?
[10:14:56] <Arjan> instead of everything
[10:15:09] <andreas.stenius> yeah, and that is a copy of NEWS > rel_x.x.x
[10:15:17] <Arjan> k
[10:15:40] <Arjan> the zotonic_install script should also be removed from the root of the repo I think
[10:15:45] <Arjan> and updated
[10:15:47] <andreas.stenius> so we can update NEWS as we go, and on release day we have the notes ready :)
[10:15:53] <Arjan> yep inded
[10:16:38] <andreas.stenius> there's a slight diff betweern NEWS and rel_x.x.x. though
[10:16:52] <andreas.stenius> I like the git log in the rel notes
[10:17:06] <andreas.stenius> but maybe they don't need to be in the NEWS file (keeping it a bit more compact)
[10:17:22] <andreas.stenius> so a cp then git log >> rel_x.x.x.
[10:17:28] <Arjan> yeah
[10:17:33] <Arjan> git shortlog, actually
[10:17:39] <andreas.stenius> right
[10:18:04] <andreas.stenius> I've never actually used the command in question, but I think it does a good job :p
[10:27:10] <Arjan> https://twitter.com/ZotonicDev
[10:27:21] <Arjan> will publish zotonic commit messages
[10:28:12] <Marc Worrell> :-)
[10:28:35] <Marc Worrell> Zal het even noemen op @zotonic
[10:31:09] <Arjan> heeft nog niets getweet tot nu toe ;)
[10:31:16] <Arjan> wel handig ja
[10:33:04] <andreas.stenius> > 'll Just call on @ zotonic
> has never tweeted so far ;-)
> handy yes
[10:33:16] <andreas.stenius> (thanks to google translate.. :p )
[10:34:03] <Arjan> :p
[10:35:14] <Marc Worrell> :p
[10:35:20] <Marc Worrell> Dutch is taking of the World!
[10:35:22] <Marc Worrell> Yeah!
[10:35:43] <Marc Worrell> Everybody better start exercising theuir gGggggGgggGg
[10:36:44] <maas.maarten.zeeman> You ain't much if you ain't Dutch they told me when I was i Michigan
[10:36:54] <maas.maarten.zeeman> :-)
[10:37:31] <andreas.stenius> hehe :p
[10:38:09] <maas.maarten.zeeman> A lot of dutch people moved to that location in the past.
[10:38:45] <Marc Worrell> Michigan? Guess it is flat as a pancake then? With lots black&white cows
[10:39:08] <maas.maarten.zeeman> There was even a dutch village, with bright orange plastic roof tiles.
[10:40:00] <Arjan> 2 years ago when I was in the states I passed through a town called "Nederland"
[10:40:06] <Arjan> nothing dutch about it though :p
[10:40:13] <Arjan> Nederland, Colorado
[10:40:30] <andreas.stenius> isn't there a sort filter!?
[10:40:31] <maas.maarten.zeeman> holland, michigan
[10:41:22] <andreas.stenius> I have `a for p in id.o.pred` and want to sort them on title...
[10:41:36] <Arjan> not possible like that
[10:41:37] <andreas.stenius> *a `for...
[10:41:49] <Arjan> .o. always sorts on edge order
[10:42:09] <Arjan> you have to use m.search[{query hasobject=... sort=`pivot_title`}] for that
[10:42:11] <andreas.stenius> yeah, but I get a list of id's...
[10:42:15] <andreas.stenius> can't I sort them?
[10:42:30] <andreas.stenius> that's awkard...
[10:42:31] <Marc Worrell> guess you need to add it :)
[10:42:37] <andreas.stenius> :p
[10:42:41] <Arjan> btw
[10:42:47] <Arjan> how are we gonna call the next release?
[10:42:49] <Arjan> 1.0? or 0.10?
[10:42:55] <Arjan> or something completely different?
[10:42:56] <Marc Worrell> would be nice to have something like: mylist | sort : `title`
[10:43:03] <andreas.stenius> I'm feeling I use stuff in a way that you don't... I keep bumping into thinigs... ;)
[10:43:22] <Marc Worrell> andres: that is good :)
[10:43:33] <andreas.stenius> yeah, and a lot of work :p
[10:43:54] <Marc Worrell> We can call it 1.0 - but do we want elastic in that one?
[10:43:55] <andreas.stenius> I like 0.10... until we have 1.0 ready
[10:44:01] <Marc Worrell> good
[10:44:04] <Marc Worrell> 0.10 then
[10:44:17] <Marc Worrell> we can always decide not to release and skip to 1.0
[10:44:23] <andreas.stenius> yep
[10:44:55] <andreas.stenius> but I also like to not add "big" features to a x.y.Z release...
[10:45:11] <andreas.stenius> those ought to be minor fixes and bug corrections...
[10:45:34] <andreas.stenius> that's my way, at least :)
[10:45:40] <Marc Worrell> like changing the datamodel upside down :p — really something for 0.9.1 :p
[10:45:44] <andreas.stenius> bah, I meant to write view, not way
[10:45:53] <andreas.stenius> lol
[10:46:14] <Marc Worrell> mixing extra modules in should be ok though
[10:46:21] <Marc Worrell> moving them out should be a bigger release
[10:46:39] <maas.maarten.zeeman> :-)
[10:46:47] <andreas.stenius> +1 :)
[10:47:58] <maas.maarten.zeeman> sigh, what a crap browser is ff on the mac.
[10:50:04] <maas.maarten.zeeman> btw, chrome will block if you error in a websocket. still bleeding edge.
[10:54:08] <maas.maarten.zeeman> sorry, had to get that off my chest. :-) This poor imac has only 1 gig of ram.
[10:54:21] <Marc Worrell> that is a bit low...
[10:57:07] <maas.maarten.zeeman> It can be upgraded to 4. It is normally only used for browsing and mailing, but nowadays you can't do even that with 1 gig.
[10:59:38] <maas.maarten.zeeman> Annoying that chrome has a global js variable named 'event'...
[11:06:37] <maas.maarten.zeeman> Yesterday I moved mod_reg (process registry) into an erlang app. https://github.com/mmzeeman/reggy. I want to do the same with a module mod_pool which now manages pools with handlers e.g. for websockets, sessions.
[11:13:12] <maas.maarten.zeeman> no, weird, it is not global, magically available in the scope of an event handler.
[11:17:21] <Marc Worrell> strange, really a way to introduce errors in scripts...
[11:18:47] <maas.maarten.zeeman> indeed, especially refactoring handlers.
[11:19:11] <maas.maarten.zeeman> separate out a small part and forget to rename something frome event.data to data.
[11:19:55] <maas.maarten.zeeman> works on chrome, not on ff and ie (as it should)
[11:20:49] <Marc Worrell> they really need to make these things more strict - I dislike this kind of automagic stuff in language implementations
[11:21:19] <Marc Worrell> javascript is weird, this makes it even weirder
[11:21:30] <maas.maarten.zeeman> IMHO the most funny js object is the location object.
[11:21:39] <Marc Worrell> (or would it be because of a side effect of their javascript-replacement dart?)
[11:21:54] <maas.maarten.zeeman> hmm, i don't know.
[11:22:09] <Marc Worrell> I am not sure if you can call the location object a object… it behaves strange
[11:22:19] <maas.maarten.zeeman> don't think so because safari does the same.
[11:23:27] <maas.maarten.zeeman> In documentation they say that the href property is a default property. If you don't mention it, then that is used.
[11:23:28] <Marc Worrell> i think that there is some compiler/interpreter going on with that "object"
[11:23:43] <Marc Worrell> +magic
[11:23:46] <maas.maarten.zeeman> location = "foo" is the same as location.href = "foo"
[11:24:59] <maas.maarten.zeeman> yeah. I tried to wrap the location object to have a way of catching navigates.
[11:25:27] <maas.maarten.zeeman> there is not a navigate event :-)
[14:01:00] <maas.maarten.zeeman> is tobbe a good name for a pool implementation?
[14:12:35] <Arjan> heh
[14:34:19] <andreas.stenius> lol- well, it's a name alright :p
[14:35:44] <Arjan> or tubby
[14:35:46] <Arjan> :p
[14:35:51] <Arjan> bit more international
[14:47:57] <andreas.stenius> ok, I've pushed the new sort filter! ;)
[14:48:06] <andreas.stenius> see docs :p
[14:48:41] andreas.stenius dashes out the door to pick up the kids from day care...
[14:51:14] <Arjan> did you backport?
[15:01:45] <maas.maarten.zeeman> tubby sounds good.
[15:09:00] <maas.maarten.zeeman> also checked reggy code with dialyzer. you have to wait a bit for the generation of the plt, but then very nice tool. also typer.
[15:27:04] <andreas.stenius> @Arjan: no, but I can do that, just not right now (later today, pbly)...
[15:28:18] andreas.stenius leaves the room
[15:30:02] <Arjan> https://gist.github.com/4318674
[15:30:10] <Arjan> release notes
[15:30:15] <Arjan> anything else I forgot?
[15:30:23] <Arjan> I will go through the git log
[15:30:38] Andreas Stenius joins the room
[15:31:05] <Arjan> Andreas Stenius: ^--
[15:31:45] <Andreas Stenius> I'm throwing a quick glance at it, but I have a phone call I have to make, so I'll get back after that...
[15:32:43] <Arjan> sure
[15:32:51] <Andreas Stenius> looks good :) be back in a while...
[15:36:07] <Arjan> the git shortlog is maybe not so usable this time
[15:36:08] <Arjan> https://gist.github.com/4318723
[15:36:10] <Arjan> too many things
[15:36:11] <Arjan> :p
[15:42:44] <Arjan> Zotonic's core routines which serve a greater purpose, like date and
string manipulation and HTML sanitization, been moved out of the main
repository into a new subproject called z_stdlib.
[15:43:20] <maas.maarten.zeeman> Yes, that was a nice move
[15:44:12] <Arjan> :)
[15:44:15] <Arjan> worth mentioning
[15:46:25] <maas.maarten.zeeman> The new blocks structure also deserves a mention
[15:47:01] <maas.maarten.zeeman> or was that new in 0.8?
[15:48:30] <Arjan> no 0.9
[15:48:32] <Arjan> you're right
[15:48:53] <maas.maarten.zeeman> you almost forget after having used it for some time
[15:50:17] <Arjan> yup
[15:50:22] <Arjan> this release is pretty long overdue :p
[15:50:45] <Arjan> While editing resources it is now possible for editors to add
different "blocks" of content to the page. Blocks can be custom
defined and have their own templates.
[15:51:12] <maas.maarten.zeeman> I'm using the zotonic_status site more and more. Nice
[15:51:35] <Arjan> yeah we really should add more stuff there
[15:51:44] <Arjan> like real-time stats
[15:51:52] <maas.maarten.zeeman> was just typing that.
[15:51:54] <Arjan> that is already built but needs porting
[15:52:10] <maas.maarten.zeeman> also feedback for stop restart flush would be nice
[15:52:17] <Arjan> http://zotonic.com/media/inline/id/928
[15:52:18] <Arjan> true
[15:52:47] <maas.maarten.zeeman> yeah those. is that hard to add?
[15:53:06] <Arjan> not too hard I think
[15:53:16] <Arjan> but it adds hooks deep down the core
[15:53:20] <Arjan> counting queries etc
[15:53:25] <Arjan> and mostly in webzmachine actually
[15:54:18] <Arjan> ok updated release notes, https://gist.github.com/4318674
[15:59:52] <maas.maarten.zeeman> nice
[16:01:19] <Arjan> I tweaked the 1st core feature
[16:01:25] <Arjan> The ability was added to aid and promote "mobile first" development
using automatic user agent classification. Amongst others, the
template selection mechanism is now based on the detected user agent
class.
[16:06:18] <Andreas Stenius> yep, this is a rather big release
[16:06:31] <Andreas Stenius> wow, jabber.org takes it's time delivering messages...
[16:07:45] <Arjan> heheh
[16:11:58] <Andreas Stenius> added has: https://gist.github.com/4318983/revisions
[16:13:08] Andreas Stenius is rebooting into Fedora...
[16:13:24] Andreas Stenius leaves the room
[16:14:56] andreas.stenius joins the room
[16:17:52] <Arjan> andreas.stenius: thanks
[16:18:01] <Arjan> documenting survey handlers while marc fixes his last things
[16:18:02] <Arjan> :p
[16:18:57] <andreas.stenius> ok
[16:19:09] <andreas.stenius> I "backported" my sort filter..
[16:19:53] <andreas.stenius> it was as easy as: git co -b release-0.9.x origin/release-0.9.x git merge master^1 (the ^1 to skip my news file update).
[16:20:16] <andreas.stenius> So, can add that to the list of new filters...
[16:21:33] <andreas.stenius> about the docs, are docs/latest/ going to follow master, or the latest release?
[16:23:20] <Arjan> I'd say, master
[16:23:31] <andreas.stenius> the shortlog is rather lengthy indeed, but isn't nice to list the ppl that have contributed there any how... ?
[16:23:53] <Arjan> I can add a list of contributors to the release notes?
[16:24:00] <Arjan> but everybody's name is in the main contributors file anyway
[16:24:26] <andreas.stenius> yeah, that might do it. Just a list so you can see who've been involved with this release...
[16:24:39] <andreas.stenius> It was quite a few ppl this time, which is nice :)
[16:25:06] <Arjan> k
[16:26:53] <Arjan> Ahmed Al-Saadi
Alain O'Dea
Andreas Stenius
Arjan Scherpenisse
Artur Wilniewczyc
Barco You
François Cardinaux
Grzegorz Junka
Hans-Christian Espérer
Joost Faber
Kunthar Daman
Maas-Maarten Zeeman
Marc Worrell
Motiejus Jakštys
Piotr Meyer
Tom Bradley
[16:28:49] <Arjan> updated gist
[16:29:53] <Arjan> ok
[16:32:01] <Arjan> ok pushed
[16:32:11] <Arjan> still not the release notes
[16:32:17] <Arjan> waiting on marc
[16:32:20] Arjan taps his fingers
[16:32:32] <Arjan> Marc Worrell: how is it hanging?
[16:32:41] <andreas.stenius> I'll add a note about the sort filter...
[16:33:02] <Arjan> k
[16:33:11] <Arjan> i would have actually preferred the name rsc_sort
[16:33:13] <Arjan> but ok :p
[16:34:58] <andreas.stenius> https://gist.github.com/4319128/revisions
[16:35:02] <andreas.stenius> ok, we can rename it
[16:35:07] <andreas.stenius> I'm not religious :p
[16:35:43] <Arjan> it might be confusing otherwise
[16:35:47] <andreas.stenius> as it is, rsc_sort makes sense, but it could be made more generic...
[16:35:52] <Arjan> e.g. {{ [1,3,2]|sort }}
[16:36:00] <andreas.stenius> yeah, exactly..
[16:36:03] <Arjan> should just output [1,2,3]
[16:36:04] <Arjan> k
[16:36:26] <andreas.stenius> hmmm.... that should be fairly easy...
[16:36:45] <andreas.stenius> your waiting for marc any way, aren't you... ? :p
[16:38:11] <Arjan> yep
[16:38:13] <Arjan> go ahead
[17:11:27] <Arjan> okay guys
[17:11:34] <Arjan> doing final checks and then doing the release!!
[17:16:06] <Arjan> nice country list
[17:17:17] <andreas.stenius> I'm having a bug I'm fixing in the tpl mode... will be a few minutes... (not sure how many minutes you need...)
[17:19:02] <Arjan> nooooooo
[17:19:03] <Arjan> :p
[17:19:12] <Arjan> I'm merging NEWS file conflicts :p
[17:19:29] <andreas.stenius> oh..
[17:19:40] <Arjan> no worries
[17:23:03] <andreas.stenius> ok, pushing it...
[17:23:25] <Arjan> k
[17:25:49] <andreas.stenius> done.
[17:26:13] <andreas.stenius> tweaking the tpl mode is tricky... fixing one part, breaks another.. :p
[17:26:16] <andreas.stenius> ok, dinner time
[17:26:23] andreas.stenius goes away...
[17:26:31] <Arjan> enjoy!
[17:26:39] <Arjan> when you're done I've baked the 0.9 :p
[17:26:41] <maas.maarten.zeeman> eet ze
[17:37:26] <Arjan> wtf
[17:37:28] <Arjan> ixion ~/tmp/zotonic/deps/mimetypes> ./rebar compile
==> mimetypes (compile)
ERROR: git describe --always --tags `git log -n 1 --pretty=format:%h .` failed with error: 128 and output:
fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
[17:37:40] Maas joins the room
[17:37:53] <Arjan> anyone?
[17:37:57] <Arjan> rebar compile uses git?
[17:38:51] <Maas> deps maybe?
[17:39:08] <Arjan> it is mimetypes
[17:39:53] <Arjan> yep even when you download mimetypes from github as zip
[17:39:54] <Arjan> it fails
[17:40:00] <Maas> new deps inside mimetypes
[17:40:15] <Arjan> no
[17:40:37] <Arjan> ah
[17:40:45] <Arjan> mimetypes app.src has the following:
[17:40:47] <Arjan> {vsn, git}
[17:40:56] <Arjan> so rebar tries to do get the git version
[17:41:00] <Maas> oh yes
[17:41:10] <Arjan> but there is no .git dir when you download it as .zip
[17:41:14] <Maas> nasty
[17:41:33] <Maas> same happens when you download zotonic as zip from zotonic
[17:42:16] <Arjan> zucht
[17:42:25] <Maas> troost
[17:43:22] <Arjan> only mimetypes is borked
[17:43:29] <Arjan> all other submodules do it right
[17:43:55] <Maas> so via git submodules is better then rebar deps?
[17:45:28] <Arjan> I want people to be able to install zotonic without needing git
[17:46:00] <Arjan> from a single zip file
[18:08:12] Arjan leaves the room
[18:48:33] maas.maarten.zeeman leaves the room
[18:58:09] Arjan joins the room
[19:01:18] Arjan leaves the room
[19:35:23] Arjan joins the room
[21:22:56] Maas leaves the room
[21:25:26] Maas joins the room
[21:51:57] <Arjan> Renewed the screenshots on http://zotonic.com/gallery
[21:52:04] <Arjan> long overdue..!
[22:11:54] <andreas.stenius> I was thinking of those a few days ago...
[22:12:07] <andreas.stenius> looks really nice now! :)
[22:12:27] <andreas.stenius> cudos to the release engineer, too ;)
[22:14:44] <Arjan> tx
[22:14:52] <Arjan> its a lot of work
[22:17:06] <Arjan> also did the debian packagfe
[22:18:14] <andreas.stenius> nice
[22:18:26] <Arjan> now I'll pour myself a double whisky and crash on the couch :p
[22:18:38] <andreas.stenius> you've earned! :)
[22:19:10] <Arjan> cu tomorrow!
[22:19:14] <andreas.stenius> but when you get back , we ought to look at creating a 0.9 branch for the docs so we don't have the 0.10-dev title on each page of the 0.9 docs... that looks a bit funny...
[22:19:22] <Arjan> you're right
[22:19:23] <andreas.stenius> cya :)
[22:19:26] <Arjan> cu
[22:19:44] Arjan leaves the room
[22:38:33] andreas.stenius leaves the room
[23:48:20] Maas leaves the room
[23:49:53] maas.maarten.zeeman joins the room
[23:51:34] maas.maarten.zeeman leaves the room
Powered by ejabberd Powered by Erlang Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!